Resources by the Carbon Capture Coalition
- Direct Pay Design Principles for Carbon Capture and the Federal 45Q Tax Credit.
- In June 2020, the Carbon Capture Coalition released a factsheet that illustrates the economic and jobs creation potential associated with the commercialization of carbon capture technologies across sectors. In addition to the factsheet, a project database was created to outline approximately 30 current carbon capture projects in various stages of development.
- Background on Tax Priorities for Inclusion in COVID-19 Stimulus Legislation.
- The Carbon Capture Coalition submitted comments on June 28, 2019 in response to the Internal Revenue Service request for comments (Notice 2019-32) regarding the implementation of the reformed section 45Q credit for carbon oxide sequestration.
- In June 2019, Coalition participants presented a full tax policy menu to the House Ways and Means and Senate Finance Committees. Drawn from the Blueprint, this broader Coalition menu includes technical improvements and enhancements to the 45Q and 48A tax credits, as well as expanded eligibility for other federal financial incentives to qualify carbon capture along with other low and zero-carbon technologies.
- Carbon Capture Coalition (November 2018). Overview: Accounting of Carbon Storage through Enhanced Oil Recovery—Navigating Aspects of EPA’s Underground Injection Control Program and Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program Related to the Section 45Q Tax Credit.
- The Carbon Capture Coalition submitted a cover letter, model guidance and supplementary narrative on geologic storage to the Department of Treasury on November 21, 2018. The model guidance addresses several implementation issues, including credit transferability, contractual assurance, credit recapture, and beginning of construction.
Carbon capture & biomass
- Sanchez, Daniel (2018). Near-term deployment of carbon capture and sequestration from biorefineries in the United States.
CO2-enhanced oil recovery (CO2-EOR)
- Advanced Resources International (ARI). (June 20, 2011). Improving Domestic Energy Security and Lowering CO2 Emissions with “Next Generation” CO2-Enhanced Oil Recovery. DOE/NETL-2011/1504.
- ARI. (March 2010). White Paper: U.S. Oil Production Potential from Accelerated Deployment of Carbon Capture and Storage.
- Melzer, L.S. (2012). Carbon Dioxide Enhanced Oil Recovery (CO2-EOR): Factors Involved in Adding Carbon Capture, Utilization and Storage (CCUS) to Enhanced Oil Recovery.
Economics & incentives
- Great Plains Institute (2019). Primer: 45Q Tax Credit for Carbon Capture Projects
- CATF (2017). Incentives for CO2 Avoided: Comparison of Renewables Production Tax Credit and Proposed 45Q Legislation.
- CATF (2017). The Role of 45Q Carbon Capture Incentives in Reducing Carbon Dioxide Emissions.
- MIT Energy Initiative. (2011) Role of Enhanced Oil Recovery in Accelerating the Deployment of Carbon Capture and Sequestration.
- NETL. (2010). Carbon Dioxide Enhanced Oil Recovery – Untapped Domestic Energy Supply and Long Term Carbon Storage Solution.
Greenhouse gas accounting
Quantification & reporting of geologic storage
- Jennifer Christensen, Great Plains Institute, and Sarah Wade, Wade LLC (June 2019). US EPA Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program Subpart RR & ISO 27916 Standard: Summary of Roles, Functions, Entities, and Processes.
- Jennifer Christensen, Great Plains Institute, and Sarah Wade, Wade LLC (June 2019). US Regulatory Programs & the International Standard for Quantifying Geologic Storage through CO2-EOR: A Side-by-Side Comparison.
State-level policy & infrastructure
- C2ES (2017), CCS State Policy Maps.
– Rules for CO2 Transport and Storage Space
– Regulatory Authorities for CCS/CO2-EOR
– Rules on CO2 Injection
– Energy Financial Incentives for CCS
- State CO2-EOR Deployment Work Group (December 2016). State and Federal Policy Drivers for Growing America’s Carbon Capture and CO2-EOR Industry.
- State CO2-EOR Deployment Work Group (February 2017). 21st Century Energy Infrastructure: Policy Recommendations for Development of American CO2 Pipeline Networks.
- State CO2-EOR Deployment Work Group (April 2017). 21st Century Energy Infrastructure: Federal Financing Options to Support Buildout of CO2 Pipelines.
- State CO2-EOR Deployment Work Group (December 2017). Capturing and Utilizing CO2 from Ethanol: Adding Economic Value and Jobs to Rural Economies and Communities While Reducing Emissions.
- State CO2-EOR Deployment Work Group (June 2017). Electricity Market Design and Carbon Capture Technology: The Opportunities and the Challenges.