Coalition Publishes Federal Policy Blueprint Summary
September 5, 2019 | Legislation
The Carbon Capture Coalition has published a new, 4-page summary of the Coalition’s first-ever federal policy blueprint, which outlines a comprehensive set of policy priorities to promote economywide deployment of carbon capture technologies.
The Coalition’s strategic vision for future policy action encompasses carbon capture, transport, utilization, removal and storage and includes the following priorities:
- Ensuring effective implementation of 45Q by the U.S. Treasury to provide the investment certainty and business model flexibility intended by Congress;
- Providing additional federal incentives to complement, expand and build upon 45Q in financing projects;
- Incorporating carbon capture into broader national infrastructure policy; and
- Expanding, retooling and prioritizing federal funding for research, development, demonstration and deployment (RDD&D) of next-generation technologies and practices.
The blueprint – which is meant to serve as a federal policy roadmap for carbon capture – provides specific, consensus recommendations for federal action arranged in four complementary areas:
- Investment certainty;
- Technology deployment and cost reductions;
- Project finance and feasibility; and
- Infrastructure deployment.
A comprehensive suite of policy tools and incentives will be needed to achieve the full potential of carbon capture to reduce our nation’s carbon emissions, support domestic energy and industrial production, and protect and create high-wage jobs. Implementing the policy agenda outlined in the Coalition’s federal blueprint will expand on recent bipartisan congressional passage of the 45Q tax credit and help ensure that carbon capture reaches its full potential.
Click here to download the full report.
Click here to download the 4-page summary.